Saturday, February 23, 2013

More homework- EXIT TASKS


Doubles are 1+1=2, 2-1=1 2+2=4,4-2=2, 3+3=6, 6-3=3....


Yesterday I tried something new with an exit task.  It was actually written into Bridges and I thought since the papers were already ran off, and it was in Number Corner it would work well as an exit task.

Thursday's challenge has been doubles and neighbors.  I had not been consistent in getting to Thursday's challenge because by the end of the week  it is called make up time!

I have been impressed with my students coming back from DI (Differentiated Instruction), from Jessica's class.  We have split our DI time between Math and Language
arts.  Jessica does the math and I do Language Arts.  My students keep bringing up doubles as an addition strategy and I knew I needed to share that with the whole class.

I made it a point to do Thursday's challenges consistently.  Yesterday there was a work sheet on doubles in addition and subtraction.  The instructions called for the teacher to walk around the room interviewing each students way of doing the addition and subtraction.  (Were they using their fingers?  Were they counting on?  Were they using doubles or neighbors to solve the problems?)  I thought this would be a good exit task and show me what I needed to do next with the group.

I was most interested in seeing how the students that were not getting DI in math would do with the doubles.  I had a suspicion that subtraction was going to be UGLY in doubles.  I was hoping addition would show  they were getting it because I had been teaching the Thursday challenges more consistently.

No comments:

Post a Comment