Saturday, August 6, 2011

Searching for Sushi in a Walmart in Salina


Searching for Sushi in a Walmart in Salina.


Obesity roams the aisle,
Meth stubs grimace
In a smile.
Fatigued by day to day ,
Plodding onward through a jungle;
A desert of Little Debbie crème pies, Pringles with a pop!
Coca cola, and Jalapeno Ranch Doritos.
The best bargains at 11 o’clock at night.

Sorrow dictates I eat.
Lateness dictates Walmart.
A dearth, a dirge, a holocaust of processed foods.

Pain rises up to choke the heart
 lodged in my throat.
Tears seep down the back,
Drip. Leak.
And I think I can find sushi in Salina….

There’s no sushi in Walmart in Salina in August.
There’s no way to feel good.
It collapses inward on its self.
The pressure spills and there’s no stopping.
And I’m truly alone and nonexistent at this point.

I cannot lay out my life like rice on a sushi mat.
Nor can I pick and chose spicy,
Full Moon Combo, California Rolls with Eel.
There’s no wasabi to burn away the pain,
Or pickled ginger to open the dam.

Just myself, dressed in cold florescent light,
Walking circles in Walmart.

I cannot roll my life up to fit my dreams
or my ideas of what should have happened.

The blade, dull with years,
shreds, rips, tears,
and scatters matchstick
of cucumbers and carrots.
Sushi in Salina at Walmart
does not exist.
Just as we do not exist

in this plain of time.

1 comment:

  1. Degas quote, "Art is not what you see, but what you make others see."

    ReplyDelete