Thursday, October 4, 2012

My dogs

My 2 old lady dogs, Queenie(14) and Allie(13) are aging just like me.  They have arthritis in their spine, Allie has had a sarcoma removed, and Queenie's bladder control is about like mine.  Children do that to you!

Queenie was Tim's 12th birthday present and we rescued Allie about a year later.  The boys moved out and left the dogs behind and they became my children.  In the last couple of years of my marriage I had to defend their lives daily.  My husband just wanted them dead.  If he did not verbally wish them dead he would mimic shooting them with a gun.  Everyday I would have to defend their right to live.  All my husband saw were the accidents on the floor and the inconvenience of pets.

He expected me to agree to put them to death even though they were still functioning and lovable dogs.  I refused to put them to death.  I knew if they were not the scape goats for his anger and discontent then I would become the object of his death wishes.

I refused to put my dogs to death even though they peed on the carpet and were a bit inconvenient.  When I moved out I found a place that took dogs and paid extra to have my dogs with me.  They are my children.  I will not put them down till it is absolutely necessary.

So my apartment stinks of dog pee and I just spent 600.00 on senior well visits.  I spend a lot of money on their special food.  I dread the day I have to make the decision.

Yet to my sons I am the bad person who left their father.  As my one son said- he wants nothing to do with me or my family ever again.  I live with this hurt daily.

I would not let him kill the dogs and I would not let him verbally abuse me again.  The price?  The loss of my sons.  I can not tell you how much this hurts as a mother.

So Queenie and Allie and myself are a family.


1 comment:

  1. Hello my friend. I understand about loving"bad dogs" so much that you do everything you can to make life easier for them, especially when life isn't easy for yourself right now. Keep buying that expensive food! Keep shampooing that stinky carpet!Bless them, when the time comes, to release them so they will not be in pain and so frightened. Love them up: enjoy them with all the love you have to give them. Your boys will come around. Lavish , for now, your loving little dogs, all the affection you want to give to those stubborn, hurt sons. Keep loving your boys: keep praying for them and for yourself. You are completely loved, eternally loved, unselfishly loved by our loving Father. And by me too.

    ReplyDelete