Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Math Action plan for 2013-14




Action Plan June 2013
Hello 3rd year of first grade!  I am actually looking forward to being a bit more comfortable with the curriculum!  I am also looking forward to working with my awesome team and getting better at what I am doing!! I'm going to be attending to precision!

Action Plan Sub-Goal 1:

I will intentionally foster a mathematical culture of effort and growth.

1.  I am going to explicitly and systematically teach the Math Habits of Mind, and the Habits of Interaction.  I believe the outcome will lead to not only better student discourse but also more justification and generalizations in my class!  I will set the date of Nov. 1 to have all of them taught.  I know they will be taught when students without prompting will use them in the classroom.

2. I will purposefully examine and discuss with my colleagues what CCSS I will emphasize in my teaching.  I am hoping that our PLC will be math, and we can meet once a week on Wednesdays to tear into lessons.
a.  We need more time and lessons on subtraction!!!
b.  I will teach the greater than and less than signs using daily snack 4 times a week!

3. The best discourse happened during number corner last year.  I plan to develop more focused discourse using the CCSS as my guide.

I will have 2 sets of partnering in my math time.  There will be sunrise/sunset partners on the floor and chocolate/strawberry partners at tables.  I would like to experiment with a quad grouping also!

I plan to make public records with all my calendar pieces and post them so students can reference them in discourse.  I will start with September.

*************************************************************************************************************************************

sub goal #2  Mathematically Productive Teaching
1.  In our PLC time I will discuss with colleagues the math goal, the CCSS, and if any changes need to be made to the lesson to clarify or up the cognitive demand.  This is also a good time to vent and discuss previous lessons.
a .I will post a T chart of Justification and generalizations as they come up in the classroom.
b.  I will purposefully find and write a math goal for at least 1 lesson a week.  I will ask myself, " What do I want the students walking away from class knowing?"
c.  In our PLC we will purposefully do a task analysis of  the  lesson.  I think it would be helpful for me to compare 1 a week and run it by Jessica or Teena.

2.  I would like Jessica to observe me teaching at least once a month for feedback.  This would also include some side by side coaching.

3.  I would like side by side coaching from Teena about every 2 months so I can continue to grow in my practise.

3.  I will attend to precision by doing the math and looking up all the math terms so I am clear on definitions.  The students will recognize this as " Math: the Final Authority"!

4  I will get in the habit of filming myself with my IPhone.  Maybe have a student be the camera person!  This will give me time to reflect on my practises and plan for select and sequencing students.





No comments:

Post a Comment