Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Temptation- VBS style


Once again I am amazed at how much I get out of Vacation Bible School (VBS), and the children.  You would think I would remember this from year to year as I dread prepping for VBS.  Sometimes I think I get more out of it then the children!  I also think probably if I spent as much time in the Word as I do during VBS I would get a lot more out of my life!

Today's lesson was one I was not looking forward to, especially after last night.  The story was from Matthew 4: 1-11, on the three temptations of Christ in the desert.  I do the storytelling for the primary children.  (Preschool through 2nd grade.)  There is not much of a "hook" to grab and it is a kind of an abstract, though important lesson, for the children.

I was reading the leader's guide for background trying to figure out how to engage the small children in the story, build background, and define vocabulary for them.  I was fascinated by the parallels between Israel in the Old Testament, and Jesus in the New Testament.  It was like a "do over" with Jesus getting it right this time!  (The only human who could get it right!)  I was stunned that Jesus' three replies to the devil were direct quotes from Deuteronomy 8 and 6.  I'd never realized that before.  It was a powerful realization for me!

At the same time I was contemplating the different students in my classes, not only their ages but by behaviors.  Some of our clientele this year are a lot like the generational poor I can get at my Title 1 School.  Their behavior determines how much structure I want in my storytelling.  (Can they handle the freedom to do fun things or does it set them off and cause them to go out of control?)

At the same time this was going on in my vocation, I was also thinking about my personal life.  Before bed I made one of those poor choices.  My councilor had warned me about doing a certain action.  I needed to resist doing it because it would just make me feel bad which could lead to more depression.  So far I've been able to resist doing this action for 5 weeks.  Last night I yielded.  My counselor was correct.  It did make me feel worse.  It gave a dense weight to my brain and sent me into a bout of feeling sorry for myself.  (Kind of like the Israelites in the desert, whiny and complaining about having no water or food to eat.  

“It wasn't like Egypt.  Why did you lead us out here to die Moses?”)

I woke up this morning with a sad and heavy heart and mind AND had to teach this lesson on temptation to some children that were very difficult to control and engage.  WHAM!  It hit me.  I was tempted last night and I gave in to the temptation.  (A severe kick in pants to myself!)  I reread the story script from the leader's guide over breakfast and this time I became aware of how Jesus was really able to resist the temptation- The Word of God in context!  The parallel between this story and the first story we did about Eve being tricked by the serpent by misquoting God's Word also slammed me up the side of the wall!

The first temptation the devil used against Jesus was to turn the rocks into bread.  (Jesus had been fasting for 40 days)  Jesus answered with a direct quote from Deuteronomy 8:3.  The next temptation was the devil misquoting Psalms 91:11-12.  Jesus quotes right back at him from Deuteronomy 6:16.  The last temptation Jesus quotes from Deuteronomy 6:13.  Jesus was able to resist temptation from the devil by using God's Word and because of that He was able to fulfill God's promise to Adam and Eve of a Savior who died for our sins.

The story not only came together for me personally but also was actually a very successful lesson in the classroom today!  I was able to keep their attention, manage certain children so they were not so disruptive, and teach God's Word!

I was tempted.  I gave in to temptation with the consequences I knew would happen.  I did not use God as my Strength.  I did not use God' Word to resist temptation.  

BUT:

I am forgiven.  I also do not have to wallow in self-pity and feel sorry for myself.  I am NOT alone.  I am LOVED!  I am GOOD at my vocation of teaching!  God has a plan- just like He had a plan for the world through Jesus Christ.  I am part of His plan and he's got my back!  He did the "do over" for me and got it right!

I need to remember to listen to God's Word, use God's Word, and listen to the children!

The refrain I taught the children to chant when directed during the story was”

“Go away, devil!
God’s Word is strong!”

Good words for life!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment