Saturday, July 14, 2012

Twelve


I just got back from the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod( LCMS) Higher Things, youth conference Twelve, in Irvine, CA at Concordia University.  Needless to say I am exhausted!  We did not get much sleep on this trip, starting with the train ride to LA last Sunday.  The earliest I got to bed all week was 10:30 one night.  Most nights were after 12 with breakfast at 7:30 which meant getting up at 6:30  Also I swear using your brain is more exhausting then physical activity.
Rev George Borghardt and our teens

It was a thrilling and disturbing experience for me.  Thrilling in the sense I thrive on studying Lutheran and historic Christian theology.  Disturbing in the sense I was tired and prone to crabbiness and dealing with "young" people.  There is a lot to reflect on - intellectually and personally.
Dining on the train


Ironically, the kids I thought would bother me so much I actually enjoyed more than the others.  We had 3 fourteen year olds, 3 sixteen year olds, 1 seventeen year old, 1 eighteen year old and 1 nineteen year old and a pastor of 38.  The fourteen year olds I thought would be a pain but I actually enjoyed them very much.  The boys were ok.  I understand boys better than girls since I raised 3 of them.  It was the older girls I found annoying.  But I think part of that may be my own reaction to situations.
Pastor Percy LA train station



Rev William Cwirla Worship 101
 I made a point to meet all the Pastors I have enjoyed in social networks and media.  ( Also lay people)  I also made a point to compliment and talk to the Pastors and presenters that did such a good job of catechises. Once again I found that by sincerely talking and expressing my appreciation of their presentations I made an impression on them as much as they made an impression on me.
I just believe that we don't tell people enough about how well they do their jobs- vocations.  I make a point to express appreciation for what talents God has given to them.  People are so quick to criticize and so so slow to compliment.  I make sure to tell people about how well they do their vocation.  Sincerely too!
I made it a point to meet my heroes and to express my joy and appreciation of what I heard.  I met Rev. Jonathon Fisk, of Worldview Everlasting, (http://www.worldvieweverlasting.com/category/vlog/)
I met Rev. William Cwirla and Rev. Craig Donofrio  (feed://godwhisperers.org/feed/podcast/)
(http://godwhisperers.org/about/)  Hey I'm a distant relative of Craig's wife!  

Rev. Jonathan Fisk, Worldview Everlasting
Rev Joel Fritsche
I've finally decided I am a Pastor "groupie".  I am just like Mary sitting at Jesus' feet to hear him talk.  I'm not the Martha anymore.  This 30 something group of confessional liturgical Pastors amaze and delight me with their understanding of Law and Gospel, Saint and Sinner theology.



The amazing Pastors I heard were:  Rev. Kurt Onken of Marysville, WA.  Rev. Dr. Steven Mueller of Concordia University Irvine, Ca.  Rev. George Borghardt, Rev. Joel Fritsche, Rev. Ryan  Ogrodowicz,  Chris Rosbrough, Sandra Ostrapowich, Rev. Grant Knepper, and Rev. Mark Buetow.
Rev Mark Buetow

Chris Rosebrough
Other Pastors I talked too Rev. Eric Lange, Rev. Dan Freeman, Rev. Peter Ledic, and Rev. Mark Pierson. 
Higher Things tattoos

Oh my the organist Dr. William Heide  was magnificent, amazing, fantastic, awesome, intuitive, musician!  

Then there  was Pastor Lange's Vicar from Solomon, KS, home church - Faith in Abilene, KS, Nathan Knaus.  A  Facebook friend I got to meet, a missionary from Africa the Rev. James May.  

I talked to many more wonderful people and will be sharing more as I reflect on my notes.

  It is truly awesome to be a Missouri Synod Lutheran and use the brain God has given me to learn about Him and our awesome heritage. I communed with the fellowship of Saints both in heaven and on earth.  I sang my theology and worship my triune God.  I heard glorius music.  I laughed. I was in awe. I questioned.  I built new pathways in my brain!  I examined my past, was filled with regrets for my history, and was forgiven for my poor choices. I am loved here on earth and in heaven.  God loved ME so much He sent His son Jesus Christ to take my sins to the cross, die, and then rise on the 3rd day so I too can rise to be with HIM!  There is NOTHING I can do to earn my salvation.  It is God's gift to me.  



So now I need to reflect on why young teenage girls bother me so much.  What do I need to do to not only understand this but change it.  It was my child and I did not have as much control of her as I could have.  I do know being tired makes it difficult to stay in my adult.

At Balboa Park




No comments:

Post a Comment