Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Channeling My Style





I work  with a young colleague who has helped me to get reintroduced to my former style.  She is a beautiful young lady with a quirky sense of style and she pulls it off.  I love it.  She can come to work with a darling top and skirt, and pair it with leggings and sneakers.  She looks fabulous.  I've started taking my cue from her and getting a bit daring with my pairings in my "old age".

Back in my younger days, I am talking the "70's, I was unusual in my school for the clothes I chose to wear.  Before it was cool I was shopping at the DAV(Disabled Veteran's Store) and the Salvation Army.  I picked up funky costume jewelry, Padded shoulder jackets, Pendelton jackets, hats with feathers and veils, dresses and coats from the 40's and 50's.  I even sported one of those ruched swimming suits from the forty's.


Also since I considered myself a "theatre freak" at the time, I  raided the costume department for prom and homecoming dresses.  My college professor gave me some really nice dresses from the costume shop.  I also started receiving clothes from friends who found them in their attics and closets.  I was given a fabulous black cashmere coat with a huge fur ruff.  The mint green wool coat with padded shoulders screamed of the 40's. Another friend gave me furs that were left in storage and never claimed.  (Poor little foxes and ferrets.)  Everyday was an adventure in dressing.  I had characters and symbols named for each outfit.

Then came the reality years:  work, marriage, children and fat.  I no longer had places to wear my costumes.  As I put on weight I became more concerned about finding inexpensive, comfortable clothes, to hide the fat.  Fat clothes are seldom attractive or stylish.  I hated wearing what I considered to be old lady tent clothes for fat people.  It was horrid.  Inside that fat woman was the same fashionista who wanted to wear sparkles, capes, scarves, hats, and bling.

Finally, I started getting my life turned around and losing weight.  I started shopping at the Goodwill because I could not afford to buy new clothes every time I dropped a size. I can no longer find the treasures I used to find but what I can find are name brand clothes that usually cost more than what I want to spend.

So I'm a namedropper now with my J Jills, Chicos. Talbots, Ann Loft, and Coldwater Creek.  I mix and match with the best of them.  I gleefully put outfits together and love the compliments I get on them.  I am having the best time dressing up in my new roles.  I tell everybody I am making up for 25 years of  fashion deprivation!

My only worry has been about "my age".  I am 56 and sometimes I wonder if I am dressing too young for my age or if that is even something I should be concerned about?  It's not like I am dressing racy, but oh I love the bling.  I want to wear feathers in my hair!  I want to wear leggings and bright colors, and scarves with texture.  I want to wear unusual jewelry and skirts above my knees.

I can't wear high heels anymore.  I am afraid I would hurt myself by falling down!  Shoes have to be comfortable so I do invest money in good shoes.  I can't really do thongs, bikinis, or skimpy tops.  I have a difficult time enough wearing sleeveless shirts.  Unless I want to do plastic surgery there are just some items of clothes I can't wear.

I can, though, put together clothes like my colleague and hang the age thing.  I can dress as funky as I want and recreate some roles and symbols.  I just don't want to be frumpy anymore.  I want to have fun!

My colleague assures me I am rocking the look.  Hey she's 28 and I like the way she carries off her style.  So I can be 56 and rock my style and channel the styles I see around me!  I am going to take my youthful influences and mix it with my "old lady" self and have some fun!

The thrift stores are calling me!



No comments:

Post a Comment