Tuesday, April 9, 2013

The "helpless female"

I admit it.  Sometimes I do play the helpless female, especially when it comes to cars.  I know I should be a self -sufficient woman and be able to put air in my tires, add a can of oil, change my windshield wipers, change a tire, and put in a new lightbulb in my headlight.  But just because I know I should be able to do it doesn't mean I want to do it.

I'm just not into it.  I feel stupid around cars.  I have no interest in knowing anything about cars.  Yet I hate being thought of as a "typical" woman that a male can take advantage of when it comes to fixing a car.  I'm a Pollyanna!  I believe what people tell me.  I hate the feeling that someone is playing me for a sucker when it comes to cars.

Remember the light that came on yesterday?  I know what it means.  It comes on when the tire pressure is low.  I looked at my tires, and I could not tell if any of them is low. I figured I had three choices.   I could take it to the dealer.  (I wonder if they would have charged me to put air in the tires?)  I could take it to Les Schwab, where I bought the tires.  Or I could go to my local Chevron station that I go to every Saturday.  I figure the guys know me, and I could play dumb, and they would fill my tires with air.

The dealership is clear across  town, but  it is my work out day and I needed to walk Queenie first.  Les Schwab is by my apartment, but I still would need to walk Queenie first.  Both could require a long wait.  I figured if the gas station was not busy I could be in and out of there, get home to walk Queenie, and then go work out.

There was hardly anyone at Chevron, and I asked the nice young man if he could show me how to put air in my tires. ( Read : I really don't want to know how, I just want you to put air in my tires.) It was no problem for him.

I found out how much pressure needs to be in each tire. (44).  All the tires were low with the lowest one being at 30.  I observed how to work the air and read the gauge.    I don't know if the next time I will actually try and put the air  in the tires  myself.  I know I should so I can be self reliant.  Sometimes it is just easier to play dumb.

Roar!

No comments:

Post a Comment