Saturday, April 13, 2013

Mom

I talked to mom today as I do every Saturday.  I asked her where exactly was the limestone quarry?  It was in a different place than I remember.   I never remember walking to the quarry.  We always got there by pickup. The way she described it was within walking distance.  Oh how I would like to see it today!

It was Henry Bentrup Sr. who mined the quarry and built  the house and barn.. That would be my great grandfather.  He is the one who came over from Germany.  I'm in awe that he knew how to cut limestone into blocks and build a house and barn.  Plus he knew to cut the fence posts.  My understanding of limestone is that it is soft until exposed to the air.  It becomes quite heavy after exposed.  I think I will need to google that.

As always good to talk to mom and I will have questions to ask at the family reunion this summer.  Henry Bentrup Sr. died before mom was born and she was only 5 when Great grandma Bentrup died.  

No comments:

Post a Comment