Monday, April 8, 2013

the first day back

I actually think the kids missed school.  They were on their best behavior.  I secretly think they miss the structure and routines of school.  I don't think many of them have that structure in their lives.  It's hard to believe we are on our last 9 weeks of school.

Tonight I came home to grade the papers I put off during spring break.  All I could think of was how many parents were going to be wanting to talk to me over grades.  The new report card grades on content and work effort only.  So the  grade in Language arts  will include phonics, phonemic awareness, comprehension, grammar and sight words.  If they fail in one area they fail completely.  It makes for a brutal grade.

We get Wednesday afternoon to do our grades.  It is our normal prep time so it just doubles our work.  I am glad I managed to enter grades through out the grading period.

I still am experiencing some disequilibrium about everything.  I did not hear from the lawyer.  I made a list of things to do and did not do any of them except grade papers.  I need to call the vet to make an appointment for a blood test for Queenie.  I need to call about retirement.  My light came on that says I need air in my tires.  I need to call my dentist and doctor.  It seems the more that is on my list the more I don't want to do it.

There was snow on the hills today.  It doesn't seem to keep the spring birds from singing.  That's what I need right now- the ability to keep the song going.  I need to not dwell on what seems to be all the negativity in my life.

I think I shall dwell more on just writing to be writing.  I want to continue the journey up the road.  The next stop is the limestone quarry.  The quarry that built the farm house, the barn, and the fence posts. It also held the household trash and functioned as the "dump".  It symbolizes more "debris" in my life.

Debris is not always bad I think.  Sometimes it becomes our treasures.

I am remembering last April when I blogged every day.  That is appealing to me right now.  It may not have much content, but it has me.

No comments:

Post a Comment