Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Healthy Weight Loss Side Effect



I've suspected it for quite awhile, and I'm starting to feel more certain of it after this last weekend.  I have no scientific proof - just gut reaction and observation.

I believe my taste buds have changed, whether from a change of habit or in the act of eliminating processed foods from my diet, I don't know.  I do know that I was highly disappointed in my weekend "binge" I planned to have!

It all started with a conference in Newport, OR this last weekend.  I started out with all good intentions of sticking with my eating "plan".  Our conference was at the Best Western Plus Agate Beach, which included the restaurant, Starfish Grill.
 http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/US/OR/Newport-hotels/BEST-WESTERN-PLUS-Agate-Beach-Inn/Dining.do?propertyCode=38154&group=false&disablenav=false&hideProgressBar=false&photoCategory=DINE

I had a great hamburger with a spring mix salad with a homemade dressings that was yum.  ( I can have beef twice a week and I only ate half the bun.)

It was the cookies that night that did me in- chocolate macadamia nut and a snicker doodle- yes I had TWO cookies!  At the wine party later I threw it to the wind and had asparagus wrapped in ham, potato chips, salami and cheese, and crab cakes.  Yes this is true confessions, ( OK, Mollee, Holly, Lucy, and Jacinda!) but I want you to see how my mindset led me up to the "Big Disappointment!"

The best part of the food that weekend was the banquet- salmon, prime rib, red potatoes, rolls, broccoli, cauliflower and carrot steamed veggies.  Oh and the chocolate cake with cream filling.  Yep I ate it all!  In my defense I only ate 1 red potato and my salmon portion was bigger than the prime rib.  The salmon and veggies were heavenly!

So when we left on Sunday I was of the mindset go for broke. I was going to have some foods I have not had in over a year and a half.  We planned to eat at "Mo's", a somewhat famous restaurant, known for it's clam chowder.  I was going to have clam chowder, a salad, and I decided to to have blackened oysters.

The salad was a an iceberg lettuce creation with the generic bottled Italian dressing.  All I could taste was the sodium in the salad dressing.  The clam chowder had a pool of butter floating on the top.  It tasted like potato soup.  I could not even taste a hint of clam in in it.  It was BLAND!  The oysters came out in what looked like a planko type coating, deep fried.  The first bite had no flavor of oyster at all, with barely a hint of Cajun seasoning.  All I could taste was the breading and grease.  I tried to peel off the breading to get to the oyster and it could not be done.

When the waitress asked me how everything was I told her I was not happy with the oysters.  I will say this for Mo's, they took them a way and did not charge me at all.  So I had a a very bland meal and I was bummed.  Here I was going to binge on some favorites and it tasted awful!!!

I think it is because processed foods have no flavor!  I have been eating real foods and enjoying the flavor of God's creation, not man's!  Fresh vegetables are to die for.  Grilled, baked, or lightly sauteed meats have such an incredible flavor.  (Except for maybe ground chicken or turkey breast.  Still have not discovered a way to make it taste good!)

Just maybe I have learned to appreciate real food and just maybe I'll stop thinking that my old favorite foods are worth having again.  I know if I had prepared the clam chowder myself from fresh ingredients and not canned I would have a delightful, tasteful meal!  I have also learned that restaurants that use real foods will have a good tasting menu.  The Starfish Grill does this for the most part.  The breakfast and lunch served to us at the conference were mediocre but the banquet was excellent!  Everything I have had off their menu has been good.

I think the wellness plan at the New Well has changed me and I am glad.  Now I am investigating  GMO free foods and some paleo recipes.  I feel ggggooodddd!


No comments:

Post a Comment