Tuesday, April 3, 2012

3:11 am 2nd draft

It starts with a contraction,
a shudder,
turns to a roll,
tightening to knots...
like a freight train roaring down the tracks
the earth twitches and shakes off its top layer.

Just as the cramp

grips the calf.

I wait.

Watch the pictures rattle…
Anticipate the next twitch.

Will it ease?
or escalate?

It always escalates .


Why do I bother to lie?
and wish for sleep?


It won't come.
The cramp won’t stop.

The pain that starts mid calf,
travels to the arch
of the foot,
Reminiscent
of downward facing dog
and a forward fold.

Just as the ache from head to child
planks my adult.
Board like,
stiff.

To tighten
the muscle
heart
requires the stretch
to rebound and snap with tectonic
plates.

Shatter
the pieces
of my debris.

Straighten the frames
upon the wall.

Wait….
For the next tremble of muscle.

I grasp
tight,
but leaks in cracks,
seep,
ooze,
break loose.

I roll to floor,
hobble to gulp magnesium.
Turn up the heat,
lay the leg flat,
and think
of past actions.


I'd text you sorry
but what good would that do?



The strength I need comes with practice.
Warrior 1 shifts to Warrior 2.
The end result is a stretch,
and a cramp that haunts my night.


I know it will be easy someday,
the body will lay still,
the earth will be silent.
My legs won't cramp at 3 am.

No comments:

Post a Comment