Monday, April 2, 2012

Holes in the brain

"Bit #1 is to remember that students from poverty’s brains do not function like non-poverty students. They actually have holes in their brains from the stressors of their life. IT is very important for us to keep their stress levels down so that their cortisol levels allow them to think. Eric Jensen’s presentation was very powerful and amazing. There is actual MRI pictures that show a stressed out brain vs. a non-stressed out brain. WE have to keep our classrooms stress free for our students and ourselves. (No wonder I get so forgetful in my most stressed out days- my brain has holes in it!)"

Who keeps our stress levels down? The district piles more and more on us each day to teach with no paid prep time. We have holes in our brains too.

I love the brain research and believe it, but they are killing us with their expectations of our day.

As a teacher I need to build in balance in my day and take care of myself so I can take care of my very needy poverty students.

So many shootings in the Rogue Valley last week. No wonder students did not want to go home!

No comments:

Post a Comment