Monday, April 23, 2012

Vassar Junction , 1979

After I graduated from college, Southwestern College in Winfield, KS, I had no idea what to do with my life. Idealistic, romantic me, got a BA in English, Speech, and Drama. It was not a very marketable degree, especially since I did not get my teaching certification.

What to do?

I never allowed myself to do summer theatre because I needed to make money for college and summer theatre really did not pay well. I had missed auditions for any of the theatre but I thought maybe I could just work around theatre. Inhale some grease paint so to speak.

I decided to ask Bruce and Veda Rogers if I could work at their summer theatre in the restaurant they were opening, Vassar Junction. Much to my surprise they offered me a job in the theatre company and a chance to audition for the shows. I grabbed the opportunity!

While there I developed a very close relationship with a man. Strictly platonic in action but I loved him with a pure heart, knowing I could never have him. It was a special time and a special relationship for me. "Grasshopper Pie" grew out of one of our times together at Vassar Junction. Looking at it now I feel it is incomplete- but I feel that a lot about my work...

He's dead now, of AIDS. I regret a lot...




Grasshopper Pie

I took the chocolate crumbs
and butter, squeezed them
through my fingers. A mud
pie that found a home in my
fingernails.
You whipped the Rich's
topping, colored it with
Crème de Menthe. The marsh-
mallows clung to your fingers
in sticky clumps.
The ice machine and refrigerator
kicked to life and blended in
with the mixer.
The late night flies buzzed
around us as we drank our coffee,
smoked our cigarettes. We were
no giant-killers, we left them
alone as the crème and crust cooled.
We made the pies, the green peaked,
foam swirled into place.
Yours filled and stroked,
while mine flopped against
the blackened crust.



Oh I itch to revise this so badly. I think it would be a worthwhile project to resurrect. This person deserves my words. He's the one I rode with to the West Coast- California. From there I took the train to Oregon and that is a story you are starting to know...




No comments:

Post a Comment